If you would like to make an appointment with one of our specialists, please have your family physician complete a referral form and have their office send it in to us via fax. Once your referral is received, Barrie Endoscopy staff will examine the referral form to ensure that you are eligible to have an endoscopic procedure in an out of hospital facility. Once everything has been looked over and approved our administrative staff will contact you directly to set up an appointment time which is convenient for you.
If you do not have a family physician, but would still like to book your screening colonoscopy please print out a copy of our referral form and bring it to a walk in clinic and ask the physician on duty to complete the referral for you.
Patient Selection Screening Criteria
In order to provide the safest possible care and experience for our patients, Barrie Endoscopy clinic follows the following algorithms when deeming if a patient is fit or appropriate to have a procedure performed in an out of hospital facility.
Barrie Endoscopy’s primary order of business is colon cancer screening. Therefore, our first level of triaging patients is to follow the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology (CAG) and Canadian Digestive Health Foundation (CDHF) guidelines on colon cancer screening. The Flow chart below illustrated this level of patient triage:
Patient exclusion criteria:
If any patient referred to Barrie Endoscopy possess any of the following ailments they will be deemed unfit to undergo a procedure in our facility:
- Age > 75
- BMI > 35
- Chronic Respiratory Illness such as COPD and emphysema
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea requiring the use of C-PAP
- Cardiac illness history such as MI, Angina, Angioplasty, CABG, Arrhythmias, pacemaker, ICD
- The use of anticoagulant medications such as Pradaxa, Warfarin, Xarelto, Plavix, Coumadin etc.
- History of TIA or CVA
- Bleeding Disorder
- History of seizure or epilepsy (patient must be seizure free for a minimum of 6 months with no recent medication dosage changes)
- History of insulin dependent Diabetes
Anyone who is considered unfit to have their procedure performed at Barrie Endoscopy is urged to have a referral sent directly to any one of our physicians’ offices to arrange for their procedure in Royal Victoria Hospital.